Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bye Bye Sarah Marshall and Us

Sometimes the aural and the visual just become too much. I notice that more often these days. The rationalizations of certain presidential candidates (and I am not talking about Hillary, who these days I find myself rooting for) double speak me into a terrified rage and a need to look up the word demagogue and see if his picture is next to it. I have this image of the need to become a freedom fighter hiding from the think police only this isn't Paris in the 1940s but Anycity, United States, about a year after the inaugural of January 2009. I used to think my father was crazy when he talked about a race war. But now, I see honest people being manipulated into one as they project their fears onto the blank screen that has the audacity to hope. Just a little side bar, according to Webster's, "audacity" has the following meanings, 1. bold courage; daring 2. shameless or brazen boldness; insolence; impudence---hmmmmm? I may have to read the book because it sounds as if the one with the audacity feels that someone is preventing him or her from hoping, or is a whole country? Sounds like Mr. Wright and Mr. Audacity really ARE on the very same page. And while I cannot speak my mind, as I mentioned in a prior, angrier entry, because dissension from the (politically) correct thinking (Mr. Orwell, are you turning in your grave yet?) leads to disapprobation, a young man can walk in front of a child, oh, just your ordinary pedestrian, with the pithy phrase, something like "F---k you" emblazoned on his trendy tee. "Mommy, what does F--K mean?" "Well, it is a little early Johnny, but then you are in first grade and you aren't supposed to hear about these things until you get to second grade, but maybe it's time that mommy explained".

A long preamble to the relatively small visual assault that has convinced me that we are doomed. I have been long in accepting this. I hope I am wrong. But I am nearly irrevocably pessimistic. Why should this relatively young country survive the onslaught of human evil packaged in cutsey culture when longer lived countries died in their own psychological and emotional filth going down this very same road. (You know, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it). A second long preamble.

So I am driving to my home after a long day of listening to complaints and battling narcissism besides my own and I go into a left turn lane to a big boulevard. I look to my left where there are the ugly posters one on top of the other. I have seen other versions of this particular one, e.g. "I hate you Sarah Marshall" and I have assumed that it is the teaser for a movie. But this one. This one really touches my heart and I want to rip faces off, if only I knew who is responsible. "You Suck Sarah Marshall". Yes, indeed, it is an ad for a movie about a man who dated a TV star. He goes to Hawaii to forget her and whoa, what a great idea, she is there too! Hollywood is just so full of wisdom and wit, the guys or ladies (I am ashamed it could be a lady) must have really patted themselves on the back in between guffaws when they thought of that teaser! Little Johnnie is probably trying to figure out whether F--K and Suck are the same thing. Close enough Johnny.

I can pray otherwise, but I am guessing that "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" the name of this entertainment gem will be a weekend hit among the gen x-ers and whatever the heck is following them these days, Y, Z, AA, cause we're going to have to start the alphabet over again, kind of like license plates.

A moment of silence for the demise of yet another civilization.

 

No comments: