Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Walking Around the Fairfax District

Fairfax district of Los Angeles aka ...Fairfax district of Los Angeles aka ...Fairfax district of Los Angeles aka ... Busy FairfaxFairfax District - Los Angeles Less busy residence streets

Since coming back from Big Bear last week, I have truly been "takin' it easy." I have been arranging for estimates for work on my family condominium, in which my dad resides. I have been sending this or that by snail mail. For me. For my father. I have slept late. I have checked the office e mail occasionally, and been completely disinterested in the new year developments, among them a soon to be physical move of staff to more ergonomic cubicles, including a move for me from a lovely downtown view corner office to a less visually pleasing corner office on another floor to be closer to my team--which I doubt they will favor. But no worries about that until the 14th, when I get back. For now, I am a happy slug, easing from one not particularly important task to another, like beginning a new painting, to be called "Ice on Big Bear Lake" and the occasional important one, like going with my father to his doctor, without having to worry about running back to work.

Today, I went to deliver some mail belonging to my landlord to his home. And I just started walking around, a goodly walk. Picked up a business card at the Metatheatre, thinking again that I'd like to take acting classes (an item on my personal "Bucket List"). Thought about getting a tattoo at Ed Hardy, if his store still does that--a variable item on my bucket list. Passing thought, as it usually is. Up and over to Spirituali where I bought some real incense, that I am about to sample, after I close out this entry. I am back now from my meander, checking personal e-mail and deciding whether I am going to fight that right turn on red video ticket or just take the on line traffic school that my friend alerted me to as an option. When I am not thinking about a cottage of my own on the beach, or in the woods, I love the Fairfax District. Los Angeles city along the main drag, and apartment suburb a few blocks in, as you can see by the photos. Want slightly seedy village, go over by Canter's and Mr. Pizza and the new Schwartz Bakery. But just a little walk and you are with families and young professionals merging together, not always familiarly, but peacefully co-existing. Whenever I think of moving to something bigger and fancier, I remember my still under $1,000 rent and the centrality of the location, and I bury the thought.

It is partially sunny mid-afternoon. Think I'll finish that Venti Hot Chocolate from Starbucks and maybe have a late lunch. Maybe I'll take another long walk in the neighborhood tomorrow. Or meet a friend for a movie at The Grove.

 

 

 

No comments: