Saturday, November 17, 2007

Celebrity Citing

 

... the Hollywood Stars on Hollywood ...

It was pretty rare, when I was living in the Bronx, New York, that I'd see a celebrity. I remember seeing Nancy ("Chief!") Culp on a Manhattan street some years after the "Beverly Hillbillies" went off the air. If I went to a Broadway Play, I would expect to see someone, like say, Robert Preston in "Sly Fox" or Patrick Macnee of "Avengers" fame in "Sleuth". Oh, yeah, there was the time I saw the man who played Sarek on "Star Trek" as an audience member seeing "Equus". That was a hard one, cause he was in his real human guise, not his Vulcan one.

When I came out here, though, it became a pretty regular occurrence. And each time I have revelled in it. I don't know why exactly. I wouldn't call myself a fan-atic, except maybe when it comes to Pierce Brosnan, and that has been continuous since the beginning of "Remington Steele" to date, and I know, intellectually, that "they" are exactly like me, human I mean, just more famous, and in most cases, with lots more money. It is kind of like treasure hunting, and the treasure doesn't have to be large, just the moment of finding is a pleasure. I once found a sand dollar on the beach near Coronado, and it was whole, which they so seldom are, and that was enough to make it a big deal. That's kind of how it is with seeing celebrities, and it actually doesn't have to be someone that well known, that makes it more fun if it is someone who is on television or in movies, and the "world" doesn't know him or her that well, or it's an old timer, and I glance and say "That's George Maharis" (I saw him in what was then Mayfair, now Gelson's on Santa Monica Boulevard in the 80s--used to see lots of people there). It is the pleasure of fantasy, the fiction of television and movies, meeting my reality. Or the fiction and fantasy becoming one with me, my life, our lives, real and imagined, merging in the flash of a moment.

Today I was at Ralph's, on Sunset, and there was a tall, curly haired young man. I couldn't, I still can't, remember his name, though it will come to me. I do remember his character's name, Bright, I think it was, on the now cancelled series (I liked it a lot) "Everwood." And that's what reminded me I have wanted to write about the many, probably more than I can write here (though perhaps there'll be a part II, we shall see), actors and actresses I have seen in my ordinary travels meeting the illusionists in theirs.

Back to Gelson's, in West Hollywood, when it was Mayfair. There was Linda  (The Year of Living Dangerously) Hunt, trying to disguise her recognizable shortness with a fishing type hat. James Shigeta and I talked about it being better to buy cat food in bulk. Whatever happened to Michael Sarrazin after he did "They Shoot Horses Don't They"--well I didn't see him in many movies, but I did see him on that check out line.

In the old Farmer's Market on Third and Fairfax, Sterling Holloway (the Voice of Winnie the Pooh; guest star in the original Superman series) at a very advanced age, complete with ascot, pompadour and cane, in a corner looking regally expectant. Ted Shackleford, during his spin off days as J.R. Ewing's less successful brother on Knott's Landing. Danny Bonaduce smoking and scowling, in between gigs on cable or radio.

At Hugo's in West Hollywood, Paul Reiser, just before Helen Hunt, Faye Dunaway, searching through her salad and getting more ice in her ice tea, one or more of the Wayans brothers, Connie Sellaca and her husband the former Entertainment Tonight Host, turned New Age musician, John Tesh.

At the Arclight in Hollywood, George Takei scanning (I saw him years ago at an Italian Restaurant in Los Feliz as well) the art on the walls on the way to some theatre, Teri Hatcher in a pony tail, buying popcorn (didn't I read this somewhere too?), Henry Winkler at Michael Clayton, John LaRoquette in don't recognize me, if you want to live mode. Barbara Bain--you know, Cinnamon Carter in the old and true, television, "Mission Impossible".

There are times when the names just flow into my mind and I can't stop them. Tonight, they are only trickling. Ok, a couple more before I go. I should write the names down before I do part II. William Daniels and Bonnie Barlett at the Director's Guild, the old one. I loved that one because I saw William Daniels playing John Adams in New York, my second Broadway play ever in 1972 or so. Ron Howard, and two of his kids at the Egyptian.

Oh, it's coming back to me, but I am getting tired. . .. Cyd Charisse and Anne Francis at the Beverly Hilton.

And I haven't even gotten to my church.

 

 

No comments: